Wednesday 6 August 2014

What is good "rye-ight" now?

I haven't really missed any food from Finland during all this time. Like I have mentioned before, you can find pretty much everything your heart might desire from the next door grocery store. However, after more than a year in between I just visited Finland briefly (it was actually warmer in Finland than in Singapore, imagine that!). On my way back I noticed that there is a proper grocery store inside Helsinki-Vantaa airport Arrivals hall. It is mostly catering for folks returning home in the evening flights, but realized then and there that it can also provide added value for departing passengers. I ended up buying a loaf of rye bread and some delicious cheese. I can get some Swedish rye bread in the local supermarket, but not the good everyday stuff. Also you can surely find various different cheese, but I am not sure if the Asians really appreciate the smelly goodness. It is a 12 hour direct flight from Helsinki to S'Pore, so any food will stay easily fresh in the cargo hold.

Now writing this particular blog entry with my mouth full of oh-so-familiar Finnish taste. It is actually pretty surreal feeling.

PS. As always it was a charm to waltz through the Changi airport with my multiple entry Visa permit. Having my fingerprint scanned and welcomed back home took me only few minutes.

PS2. BTW, while in Finland it did feel good to have access to proper toilet paper. Soft yet sturdy. Not the Singaporean fluffy stuff that easily gets all mushy in the wrong places.

No comments:

Post a Comment