Thursday 3 July 2014

All your berries are belong to us

I have a had a massive misconception all throughout my life. Now that I have recently been enlightened by my wife and learned my lesson, please allow me to contribute to the shared body of knowledge in case there are others like me out there.

While I really, really enjoy the regional cuisine in SE Asia, I have been vocally of the opinion that there are few food items that indeed are objectively better in Finland (perhaps also in Sweden and other neighboring countries) than anywhere else in the world. I am obviously talking about berries here. Strawberries are much sweeter and tastier in Finland compared to their sometimes bigger and even visually more appealing foreign siblings. The same thing applies to blueberries. I just can't seem to find as good blueberries as the ones which I can pick up readily from practically any forest in Finland as per quite extensive freedom to roam.
You know nothing, koo mikko! 

The thing is that I have been comparing apples and oranges -- or more precisely comparing bland blueberries to real tasty bilberries. I have been unjustly dissing that other blue colored berry to its Nordic relative. It's actually pretty easy to make the distinction now that I know what to look for.

Thus for the record, let me apologize globally to all the berries I may have offended over time. I regret my actions deeply.


No comments:

Post a Comment