Thursday 10 October 2013

Scoop of palm sugar

I mentioned previously that I won one years supply of ice cream from a contest related to the first Hobbit movie. As a sad announcement to the hordes of people lining behind my front door and clawing my windows, let me formally let you all know that the ice cream is long gone. Please go home. Nothing to see here anymore.

It lasted for something like 3 months. So should I consider that I have been cheated? Actually not really. Just came across this little tweet over here, which clearly states that the difference in the consumption of ice cream between Finland and Singapore is 6 fold -- for the favour of all of us Finnish ice cream aficionados. Based on this it seems that the amount of ice cream I won would have easily lasted for the promised period for a standard Singaporean.

This consumption awareness also explains couple of other anomalies. For one, it has been deceptively easy for me to conquer the Foursquare mayorship of more than one ice cream cafes in my neighbourhood. Additionally it does offer an explanation to the surprised expressions of my fellow colleagues when I have entered the office early in the morning enjoying my morning cone. For many of them it seems to be unheard of to have a few scoops for breakfast. While for me it makes absolutely perfect sense: what else could be better treat than a cold ice cream under the scorching sun -- no matter the time of the day.

For the record though, there are some very interesting experimentations of ice cream flavours going on over here. Like the stinky durian flavoured ice cream. Or sweet gula melaka. Or just stingy green tea.

PS. Reaping the benefits of early adulthood, I have once tried to survive on ice cream alone for a whole day. Unfortunately I failed miserably by dinner time.

No comments:

Post a Comment