Monday 8 July 2013

Finnish Cultural Imperialism pt III

Strange. Last time I had just returned from a trip to Finland I spotted this global supply chain oddity. I came back yesterday after having enjoyed the midsummer festivities with friends and family and now I spot a can of Lonkero in a local ordinary supermarket. Well, to be honest it was one of those supermarkets that does tend to the needs of home sick (and wealthy) immigrants in addition to providing everyday groceries. This can was close by to some pretty authentic looking rye bread, which had Swedish label texts.

The moral of the story is that I can get pretty much everything in Singapore to keep the dawning home sickness at bay. Of which there hasn't really been any real symptoms of during the past 9 months though. The reason why I was browsing the alcohol section of the store more closely was to seek out any particularly scrumpy ciders which I have so far only found out in Wales and New Zealand. But glad I'm not a kiwi as apparently not all sorts of home sicknesses can be cured even when willing to pay a premium.

To cater for the non Finnish audience of this blog, here's the wiki entry of the classic Lonkero, which dates back to the Helsinki Olympics '52.

1 comment:

  1. Let me set myself right before I am the one spreading rumours. Of course you can get proper scrumpy cider in 'Pore. Just did. So therefore it has been proven that you can get practically everything your heart might desire in Singapore.

    ReplyDelete