Monday 3 June 2013

The old continent with familiar nightly scents

Work has taken me into lively Dublin, Ireland for a week. As is already the tradition in this blog: couple of inevitable reflections between Europe and SG.

People don't really respect pedestrian lights over here. They are there only for generic guidance, but the decision to cross a street is driven by number of passing vehicles. Obviously you do see jaywalking in Singapore as well, but as you probably have learned it by now, that's yet another punishable offense.

Speaking of which, I only now realize that I haven't really seen any police patrolling the streets in Singapore. Very, very seldom I might have spotted one or two officers in one of the MRT stations. From what I have heard, police are mostly in their civilian clothes blended in the crowds. Plenty of police over here in Dublin though -- with occasional Guinnessy Irish bloke giving them hard time. But seemingly the officers have heard those comments before and not really paying too much attention to the verbal abuse. I really can't imagine seeing that happening in Singapore. That would be one fast track to receive quick corrective caning.

Neither can I imagine smelling the poignant scent of Friday and Saturday night in every other street corner. It is truly amazing how Singaporeans can behave so well even when royally drunk at Clarke Quay in the wee hours of the night. Surely you have the occasional few who are tad bit too tired to walk or might not generally feel so well, but the thing is that there is absolutely no one behaving aggressively or even overly loud.

Something that I am a little bit concerned is how can a Finn of all nationalities be spoilt with little bit of a warm weather and spicy cuisine so fast. I have been truly freezing in the damp yet sunny Irish summer with three layers of clothing, while the locals are welcoming June with nothing but T-shirts and shorts. Also I didn't remember Fish and Chips tasting so very bland before.

Majestic scenery of Cliffs of Moher -- or so I was told. Couldn't see a damn thing through the fog.

No comments:

Post a Comment