Thursday 11 October 2012

As chatty as you can get

Gotta comment on my own posting from yesterday: Talk about chatty taxi drivers! Today I was driven by an elderly Chinese gentleman who talked and talked like there was no end to it during the whole trip from work to a potential school for a campus visit. This guy just couldn't stop talking and laughing out loud (LOLing?) almost about every possible thing there is.

It is not really customary here to tip (which I really appreciate), but I decided that this was such a fun ride that I proposed him to keep any change from notes of intentionally too large denomination. But he didn't want to hear about any of that. On the contrary it was he who insisted on actually giving me money from his own wallet so that the fare was lower than the meter reading!! Suffice to say, it was me who reminded him to turn the meter on in the first place after we had left my office building. He forgot to turn it on while busy talking to me. He said the lower fare was because I seem such a stand up guy for paying the effort to willingly integrate into Singaporean society through learning my new surroundings and reading the local newspaper (vs. subscribing to news from home country). I wonder how he got those tidbits as he didn't let me do any of the talking...

No comments:

Post a Comment