Wednesday 22 October 2014

Final relocation summary (part 1 of 3) - List of accomplishments

This is the first of the 3 part blog series listing final summary of the 2 year excursion. First entry lists all the new skills and achievements I ended up with. The second installment into the series discusses about things that I am missing from Singapore. Final topic (potentially the very last entry into this blog altogether (snif)) will be about things that I do NOT miss.  

Achievements / trophies / outcomes 

  • 3 ice cream bar mayorships and level 5 mall rat badge in Foursquare (I had to list the most cherished achievement first. I'll have serious trouble making sure I stay on the top in the upcoming months/years -- Actually I think I can. Foursquare did totally stupid update into their previously cool app and removed this gamification aspect completely.)
  • Plenty of gained experiences from living and working abroad. Working in a massive conglomerate, working abroad was not so big of a shock. The corporate culture actually runs much deeper than working differences of various nationalities. Having worked in a truly global role with worldwide visibility makes it so much harder to get used to regional level business after this. 
  • A great group of colleagues to have worked with. A few new true friends in addition. 
  • Further improved English skills (I remember in the beginning it was half scary to find myself thinking in English during weekend).
  • Enough vitamin D to survive couple of dark Finnish winters.
  • New color into the map of visited countries: Philippines, Australia, Cambodia, Indonesia (and Ireland). Also number of revisits to countries I had been to before, but more stamps into the passport: Singapore, Malaysia, Thailand and US. Number of the countries visited as of today: 45.
  • Some money left over from very friendly taxation percentage
Also gained new ability to stick to shadows to avoid
scorching sun. In the picture there is still the best place available
to wait for the pedestrian light to change.
This skill will surely come in demand in Finland!
  • Two amazing kids who have had their first true dip into global world and understanding how very similar yet fascinatingly different we all are over the various country borders. Both of them speak fluent English and some Mandarin to top that off. Both of them have learned to swim there as well.
  • 80 odd blog posts documenting the course of past 2 years for 3000+ page views globally.
  • 100+ kilometers of running away from Zombie hordes in this cool augmented reality app. For the record though: I never acclimatized properly to be comfortably running outside during day time. 
  • Successfully completing one of the sixweeks.com projects (200 situps done, 20 pullups &  100 push-ups still to come!) 
  • 2 playlists of commuting music. One list for each year.
  • Full set of furniture which unfortunately ended up being needed after the home coming. My earthly goods are floating somewhere in the Suez channel at the time of writing this.  
  •  
  • Learned little bit more than just basics of tennis. I can occasionally hit one mean forehand. 
  • Mastered the skill of chitchatting about weather when the only real change is whether it is very hot or really hot (once again I remember that in the beginning the very first weather related discussion made no sense whatsoever to me). 
  • 926 PowerPoint files and 745 Excel files on my laptop hard disk drive. Honestly (perhaps unfortunately) majority of these are created by me! All these files got deleted during standard disk wipe on my last day at the office. Perhaps I need to clarify that I practice pretty nihilistic version control system, which leaves a wake of copies of the same file.

  • Life long immunity to one specific serotype of dengue fever.


There are most probably several other achievements, which I don't remember right now. Thus perhaps these are the most important ones. (EDIT: OK, just a few more additions to the list)

No comments:

Post a Comment